Thread: DIY Recovery
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2006, 08:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mongo

DIY Recovery

Greetings everyone

I've been in recovery for over 2 years now with a desire to quit drinking. During this time, I have had many long periods of success, and also many lapses leading to a prolonged use of alcohol. In all, I think it's been a relatively successful period of time, as my consumption is way less then in the same time period of previous years. I think that recovery may be like that for many people, kinda doing well, then slipping etc.

Although I have spent much time visiting recovery sites, I don't adhere to any one particular program, but do like to take what I consider to be the best choices for me from each. I am a member of SMART, Sober Recovery, Sober Village, Oz recover, and have also perused Rational Recovery, etc. I have participated in F2F meetings sponsered by AADAC(Gov't of Ab.)

It would be interesting to hear what other peoples' take on what they feel are the best techniques and philosophies, not the best program, for day to day sober living.

For instance, SMART's CBA(cost benefit analysis) has been very helpful to me in abstaining but also I apply it to other decisions I have to make. Their ABC is a very helpful method of thinking an issue through and arriving at a logical decision.

AVRT(addictive voice recovery therapy(?)) is another technique I employ at times.

I do like AA's 1 day at a time concept. The peer support is very appealing to me also, however I have not attended an AA meeting.

Currently, I am working with my family doctor and taking antabuse as a tool to utilize for my goal.

I realize that for me to successfully quit drinking I think that changing my way of thinking, self-discipline and sober time are very important.

It's interesting to note that perhaps people quitting on their own, without a program, have a fairly high efficacy rate. (I have no data or links to support this, just what I believe.)

For myself, a do-it yourself quitting method seems to be working. I have the advantage of picking and choosing whatever technique seems best for me and any new method I learn is more tools for my toolbox, so to speak.

So, any do-it yourselfers out there who've had marked success with any particular technique?

Keep well

Mongo