Thread: Death
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2006, 05:06 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Autumn
alconaut

Originally Posted by Don S
So he asked me 'if you knew you were dying and had only five minutes to live, wouldn't you want to talk to a priest and convert so you'd be saved?'
An interesting question!
I wonder if say, an Atheist were dying in the hospital, and the hospital staff sent a priest or minister to deliver the last rites, how it would make the individual feel? Obviously it would depend on the person, but it would seem that it would disturb their peace to a degree, regardless of their level of acceptance of dying. A person's senses and awareness are extremely heightened prior to death (sans morphine). No one is ever really prepared, I don't think..... well, I know that to be untrue actually, having seen people beg to die. Oh well.... just turning thoughts over.

I replied 'if I knew I was dying, I'd hope to spend my remaining minutes comforting the living who might be saddened by my death.'
That's so beautiful, and I believe you too. It's really amazing how people differ in their perspectives. Like I said earlier though, absolutes seem to make a big difference. I once saw an Atheist go through the days leading up to and which he knew would end in his death, and he was completely accepting. However, at the moment of his death he was rendered unconscious with medications. One of his daughters - who is an avid Catholic - turned down an offer for him to receive his last rites, which I thought was very unselfish of her.

ps--thanks, Autumn! ('Ice Man'?!?)
Yes, you're welcome. I thought I saw Dan refer to you as Ice Man a couple of times.....