Thread: Death
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2006, 06:03 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
historyteach
To Life!

You still accept he is all powerful and benign though
I *think* you mean to say all knowing, here. Am I right?

My concept of G*D is not of an entity sitting above passing out rewards and punishments as "he" looks donw below at us making judgements. Quite the contrary.

G*D, to me, is like a collective consciousness. It's a collective of all people's consciousness, at least; perhaps all living, sentient beings. It may or may not include those who lived before, (I think so), and those who will come to live, (unsure here.)

G*D therefore has knowledge of what is and probably what is possible. (The Greeks and Hebrews believed there is nothing new under the sun.)

And because I believe people are basically altruistic, (thanks, Don! I would have said "good" before, but, like this word better! ) I do think G*D is benign, (meaning "good and of kind heart.)

But, all powerful? No. This collective consciousness, (that does lie deep within us and we can benefit from, if we are still ), cannot stop me from doing evil. Only people can do that.

I'll use an example, albiet, it's a rather unusual one.
The case of Shlindler, as in the movie, Shlindler's List.
He is considered a "hero" by many for saving many Jews from the Holocaust. However, this view ignores the fact that Shlinder and others like him allowed the Holocaust to occure. If it weren't for him and others who cooperated, Hitler couldn't not have achieved his plans and 11 million people would not have been brutaly murdered. Not to mention the countless who died in the war!

In short, Shlindler, with his behaviors, allowed the Holocaust, a horrific period in the world's history.
Likewise, his behavior following his change of heart saved lives and helped end the war.

*WE* have the power to do right or wrong. To be benign or evil. And to treat others in those manners. Ghandi told us how to stop Hilter. Non cooperation with evil. There was a choice at the time. Shindler choose the way that made him rich and gave him the good life.

G*D is not in charge of our behaviors because G*D is NOT all powerful. G*D couldn't stop Shindler nor Hitler. Only we can. And we do so when we listen to that collective consciousness - to G*D.

Again, this is only *my* take on G*D. It works for me. I have no need or desire to try and *prove* this to others,or to convince others that my version is the correct version. It's been a lifetime coming together; it'll probably change more as I grow further in my own limited understanding.

So, no, G*D isn't powerful. But, we have more power than we can possibly imagine, I think. We just are not tuned into the possibilities.

Hope this makes some sense to you, and that I didn't give more than you asked for!

Shalom!

Last edited by historyteach; 07-04-2006 at 12:17 PM.