View Single Post
Old 07-01-2006, 10:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
leviathon

Originally Posted by Don S
Some questions have come my way over the years about sobriety from people who have what I call 'faith-based world views'. So I thought I'd throw them out for discussion....

What do you believe caused your substance abuse behavior?

Where do you believe the power comes from to change?

What is the source of motivation to change, what sustains it, and what do you rely on when you have doubts or ambivalence?
Hi Don, my answers to this are as follows:

My substance abuse was caused by a few things, one was my failure to care for my own spiritual, emotional and physical well being and by becoming captivated by the world of materialism and greed.

Secondly was my willingness to focus on being a "victim" rather than my normal frame of mind which is that of life presents challenges and we deal with them as we go.

Third was my disillusionment with life after university... I thought rather naively that by completing my degrees and graduating and finding a good job life would just unfold as I wanted... I overlooked the fact that life continues to throw curves and sliders and knuckleballs regardless of your degree and you have to deal with them.

Fourthly, I was very lonely and allowed myself to become isolated and overworked... likely goes back to one above.

Cheers, Levi