View Single Post
Old 06-30-2006, 02:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
historyteach
To Life!

Excellent point, Don. And you're right.
Plato talked about the importance of "naming" in the Republic. Those who "name" or identify a person, place or object, have the upper hand.

That's how feminism became a dirty word!
In reality, it's a person -- male or female -- who believes in the political, economic and social equality of the sexes. Today, a feminist is perceived to be a looney hysterical byatch. I could go into the history of the transformation of the language, but, the point is made, I think.

Same with religious or areligous groups. For many years I was agnostic. I dabbled with atheism for a while, until I realized I needed the same type and amount of faith to believe in NO G*D as there is to believe in G*D. Not quite logical, if you ask me!

As a frame of reference, this post serves a valuable purpose. Defining terms in order to communicate ideas is necessary for that communication to happen.

All of us in recovery stand to benefit by "naming" our own personas. As a codie, I recognize and still struggle with this very issue. For too long, I gave up "me" to any and everyone else. Today, with my recovery, I'm learning to be just who I am -- without reference to what others may or may not think. My guess is, that is true with people who have an addiction too.

Shalom!