View Single Post
Old 06-01-2006, 12:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
23girl

New here - advice... about mom

Hello. I am new here. I am a adult child of an alcoholic mother. She has been an alcoholic my whole life (30 yrs)... but she was a "functional alch." - she was able to care for me and my dad and hold a job. My father also drank. He died about 4 yrs. ago suddenly. Since that time, my mother has had increasing problems w/ her drinking. She is to the point now that she goes on benders for days at a time... She always calls me and blames me for her drinking, refuses to take responsibility, etc. In the past, I have gone to her house and poured out her alcohol and taken away her keys, etc. I have done reading on the subject and see that I was enabling her. I have benn trying to do better w/ that. I try not to talk to her while she is drinking, etc... I have 2 children of my own - a 3 yr old and a 2 month old. My mom has been drunk for 75% of my new baby's life... I can't take all the stress and turmoil her drinking causes... I don't know what to do anymore. I have said enough is enough. A couple weeks ago, she lost her job due to her drinking. She decided to go on a bender b.c of that. She has been drinking for the last 11 days. She called me yesterday and said she wanted me to come over and help her. I told her I couldn't b/c I had my kids w/ me and I wouldn't subject them to that environment... I told her I could call her a cab and take her to a treatment center. She refused unless I took her. I have taken her so many times now, I just said enough is enough... I am the only child so I have no one to help me. She talked her family from out of state into taking her. She is there now - but this last bender has caused me to realize I have to detatch from her for the sake of my sanity, my marriage and my family. Any advice would help me greatly... I really have no one to help me - my husband is fed up w/ her - and me for repeatedly forgiving her and trusting her, only to be hurt again... I hope I am posting in the right place! Thanks.