Thread: Famous People
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2006, 11:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
beyondbedlam

Famous People

Hi
I have decided to start the road to recovery, I come from a family of alcoholics. My Grandfather was an alcoholic who was an AA member and sober for the last 30 years of his life (he died at when he was 85). My stepfather is an alcoholic who has been sober and in AA for the last 16 years. I wish I could learn from the past but apparently not. I am 28 and have been drinking for the last 8 years. At the beginning of this year I thought I would take a break and was able to go 111 days without drinking but six weeks ago in a moment of weakness I drank. Now I find that it is hard to get away from the stuff. Tomorrow I am going to go to my first AA meeting. I don't know how I will be accepted. I work for a liquor company stocking the shelves. I never want to drink because of this, as a matter of fact it has led me to believe that I should stop drinking. I see the people who come in to buy the product. No offense, I hope. One of the things that is helping me choose this path has been putting together a list of famous people who have given up (or in some cases never taken up) the sauce. I think about this because I want to become a filmmaker. So far I have a small list that I would like anyone to add to. My list is limited mainly to actors but please feel free to add anyone from high profile fields like sports and politics. I want to thank everyone on this site in advance and ask you to wish me luck as I wish it to everyone else who is taking what seems to be the impossible step. Below is the beginning of the list, I would like to include famous people living or passed on. These are people who have made public that they do not drink. Some of them never have, and some of them are recovering. I like to think of this list as encouragement and I hope it offends no one.
The List Begins
Sarah Silverman Actress/Comediann
Samual L. Jackson Actor
Stephen King Author
Doyle Von Frankenstien Muscian
Colin Quinn Comedian
John Spencer Actor
Phillip Seymore Hoffman Actor
Kevin Smith Director
Mel Gibson Actor/Director