View Single Post
Old 05-12-2006, 05:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
equus

I know what you're saying Best. But we live in rich countries, wealth and money isn't the issue, how wealth and money is used is the issue. That experience taught me something no book could ever have done - what it feels like, that's why the posts upset me, I remember what it felt like.

I wish it was about just me, but it isn't - 'we' moan all the time at social services not providing this or that, yet the issue is more that our culture no longer wants to care for an elderly relative and that 1000's of people in the UK alone dump their kids.

We've left an era where people are supported by a community and now when 'the system' fails there's no help.

I was better equipped than most, I was more aware of systems, I have education, research ability, friends, and skills I've been lucky to pick up through life - even so, I remember how it felt. My GP was right it was inhumane and intolerable and if that was true for me, someone who could and did articulate it - then how many others?

After an age long Mexican stand off at work, finally I have a manager who allows me some freedom and I've got the courage of the damned. At the meeting I had, talking about how to make systemic our responsibility to teach children to question and challenge, to be assertive and critical ( +'ve as well as -'ve) - well like when I used to school horses well as their best garauntee to have a good life, this is the last gift I want to set up (if I can) for these children. Maybe they will change the future, at least more will be heard.

I'm feeling better now - it passed while I got wrapped up gaining a seriously tough cookie pal! Now back to today and the opportunity it brings.