Old 06-02-2003, 09:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Thomas10/325
Paused

Hi mreneerouser!!!

Your post was a real inspiration, thank you for sharing your story. I don't have first hand experience with methadone, but I do with vicodin. And also I was in a relationship with someone that went into a methadone program to end her 4 year pain pill addiction. We then learned methadone is highly addictive also and she could not get off of it. She tried a gradual taper (1 mg every two weeks) at 7 months and could not do it. Then again at 12 months, and again had to stop the taper. The clinic was an hour away in a bad part of the city and with her 3 young children and her old car and me working, believe me when I say it was soooooooo hard on us. I couldn't understand why she wouldn't want it out of her life after all it was putting us thru. It just goes to show you the hold that stuff can have on a person.

You are doing really awesome!
Some people on it that can't get off it actually say it is like insulin for a diabetic, not an addictive drug. They work very hard to get themselves to be OK with accepting their addiction so they say things like that. It's pathetic.
I have actually read a few successful methadone detox stories in my substance abuse forum travels. Your stories are proof it's possible to get off it and are very inspirational to others who want to get free of it.

After what I went thru with my g/f I try to warn people to be careful with methadone, I just want to let people know how difficult it is to get off. My g/f and I didn't really know that going in, it was presented as a nice little regulated detox. Then I learn you don't ever have to go off it and many people can't. Someone in another forum actually told me she should not have been on it that long if she was going to do a detox. But every time she even thought of the detox starting it would freak her out sooo much. Damn. Scary stuff. Life saver for some, nightmare ball and chain to others.

You deserve more credit than most people know.
Major kudos to you!

Definitely continue to post your progress.

Regards,
Thomas