Old 03-22-2006, 09:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
earlybird

Originally Posted by NEEDTOBESOBER
it seems like I can go a few days or a week without and I have that urge to drink and I finally give in,

This is because this isnt about willpower. A part of the brain chemestry is changed by excessive alcohol intake over time. This is the part of the brain which determines ability to reason (the part where we GET willpower). So willpowers gone,...out the window. Thats why we can go a few days,...but soon,...the brain starts telling us that we really werent that bad after all. Then we drink. And it gets REAL bad. Thats why its almost impossible to quit by yourself, with no support. Thats why weening is almost simply foolish. It just wont work for the vast majority of us. When we quit with no support,....we are STILL left with ourselves. We havent worked on the reasons we drank like we did. Those defects are still there. Its like trying to squeeze all the air out of a zip lock bag. We can get it pretty much all out, but given a little opening it rushes back in taking up the space we just cleared. As for you trying to ween, Owlover,...it really doesnt sound like you drink enough to suffer real bad withdrawal. I could be wrong. But self-medicating with drugs no prescribed for a specific use is not a safe answer. I tried that too. Doesnt work. Drug is a drug. Id atleast contact a doctor or better yet, a substance abuse doctor and ask. He may even tell you that you DONT drink enough to suffer withdrawal. Has there been any negative consequences in your life due to your drinking???