View Single Post
Old 05-18-2003, 07:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
smoke gets in my eyes

Media and Messed Up Minds

Hello gang.

This kind of vaguely has to do with codependency.. I think.

I just watched "The Little Mermaid". I like to have movies on while I'm working. It never occured to me before what a poor message this movie could send to a child. The heroine is disobedient, willfull, capricious and wreckless... and gets everything she ever wanted in the end. She does is all for loooooove. It's all pretty and romantic and has great music, but is really morally bereft. The original story had the mermaid being turned to seafoam after her misadventures. And she deserved it! Little brat.

I have thought before that a lot of us codependent types have received some poor programming from our culture and media. Love changes everything. A diamond is forever. Bake someone happy. I'm gonna think about this some more. I think we get a lot of our early training in "how to be a doormat" from popular culture.

Right now I have a short list of songs that mangle the mind... chime in if so inspired.

I Got You Babe
I'd Rather Be Blue Over You
All You Need is Love
Can't Help Lovin' that Man of Mine

Now THIS is a good song... my Mom used to sing it a lot. Usually I'd go look up the composers but right now I'm fussed.

Blues in the Night

My mama done told me
When I was in pigtails
My mama done told me.... Hon....

A man's gonna sweet talk
and give you the big eye
But when the sweet talkin's done...
a man is a two face.
A worrysome thing
who'll leave you to sing
the bluuuuuuuues in the night.

No... I'm not mad at Dino. He's just swell. But I'm mad at being set up by romantic bushwa and this movie just ticked me off. Who'd think we'd need Disney Police?

Anybody? Songs? Movies? Slogans? Books? Let's play Cultural Warp Factor!