View Single Post
Old 05-17-2003, 10:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
smoke gets in my eyes

The Problem with Little Rebellions

Little Rebellions. Little tension releasers. Small turnovers that distract, amuse... change for the sake of change. Useful and day saving sometimes. A little rebellion might be having cream and sugar in your coffee when you usually drink it black. Or buying neon colored index cards when you know white is more dignified. Or putting a tigerstripe fur steering wheel cover in your '88 Lincoln just 'cause you like it and not even caring that it puzzles people that you don't LOOK like a pimp(?).

Dino will be away until Monday. I'm doing a little dance. We've had no explosions here, but not exactly ease, either. Thought I would enhance the dance with a Little Rebellion. Only once in ancient history did Dino say "Don't cut your hair" which he very quickly amended to "I mean... unless you want to. Cut your hair if you want to." If he hadn't made that amendment, I would probably have shaved my head. However, I didn't cut my hair. And every time I've thought about it since, I've remembered and laughed and left it alone. Today I had the scissors in my hand. "Ha Haaaah! I shall truncate my tresses!" I cry. "No one is here to raise an eyebrow!" So I'm standing in front of the mirror, and all of a sudden my eyebrow shoots up to my hairline. Stop. I'm tall, I have a big face and I look ridiculous with short hair. Sigh. So that's not a very good Little Rebellion and I've given it up. Maybe I can find some barrettes that look like hippopotamuses or something. Or wear my bedroom slippers to Walmart.

In the mood for a Little Rebellion? What small self-tyranny will you overthrow today?

Happy Saturday!