Old 01-26-2023, 12:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
trailmix

Originally Posted by Tombplant View Post
I put him first and went through so much trauma now
I think a good question would be, why did you put him first? You didn't even know what detox was, but you were involved with a meth addict that used many drugs including alcohol, to the point where he was on the streets. If you are putting him first and he is putting himself and his drugs first, who is looking out for you?

You can't save him from this. You didn't Cause it, can't Control it and can't Cure it (the 3 c's).

He didn't throw you away, he is choosing drugs. It's not personal. It's not a good idea to expect logical, emotional, reactions from an addict.

There is sobriety (putting down the drug of choice) and there is recovery, two very different things. Right now he is barely in sobriety and since you talked to him may not even be.

I would recommend you visit our Friends and Family of Alcoholics forum (post there too if you like) and read around, there will be a lot there that you can probably relate to. You may also want to learn all you can about addiction (for you, not for him).

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ly-alcoholics/

There is also a book that is the most recommended for Friends and Family - Codependent no More, by Melody Beattie. It has a lot of information about boundaries in relationships that you might find useful going forward. Also, you may want to attend Al Anon or Naranon for extra support.