View Single Post
Old 01-01-2023, 01:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
TheWayBack

Originally Posted by gms View Post

I recently started thinking of the damage to my brain. I work as a software engineer in a very good company and in the past two year I had some problems due to my performance. I'm not as sharp as I used to be and my more junior colleagues outperform me. I'm almost 40yo and I wonder if I permanently lost my skills due to alcoholism.

I quit drinking around 6 or 7 weeks ago
I'm a software engineer also, so have had similar concerns. I have been quit for 7 months now and I am sure I am still not back to baseline. I drank for about 12 years, heavily, especially at the last there, far more than 6 beers.

No, you have not permanently lost your skills. The latest science has shown that brain recovery, neuroplasticity and neuron regeneration will continue for years.
40? I started my career as a software engineer at 37. You are YOUNG! I'm 63.

I probably drank way more than you did and for longer and I am still employed as a software engineer. I am sure I did a LOT of damage to my brain and my skills have suffered because of it, and it sometimes seems to be an uphill battle. I suffer from anxiety and depression because of my years of drinking, but there are times, I seem almost back to where I was all those years before I started drinking. Sometimes, even better than before. You are going to be fine.