Old 12-10-2022, 11:23 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
MesaMan

I weigh in on the nez POV side of the Universe.

Decades ago, I watched a Sumo Wrestling Match in Tokyo. Quite the ceremony. This ~325 lb. Vet faced off against a ~225 lb. Noob. They throw Salt around the Ring, and do all the prerequisite moves. Then, these two burst up from their kneeling start positions. Smaller Dude deftly stepped aside. Big Dude flies right by him, and out of the Ring. Match over in ~2 Seconds in favor of the smaller Dude. Funniest, and most insightful Match I'd ever seen. Loss-by-inertia. And, due to thinking you *have* to do things - like get Sober - in some certain way.

Although this wasn't it, there is a Martial Art where you tire out your opponent by making only defensive moves while he flails away, tiring himself out. Ki Aikido, mebbe?

By not fighting Alcohol after about ~3 or ~6 Months in, I kinda did that. I strived to remove myself from all the turmoil, and inevitable failures/relapses. You can't 'miss' something you genuinely no longer want. This didn't mean it wasn't an extreme challenge. The challenge morphed into more a defensive set of deft Social moves over time and experience, and in altering the direction I steered my Life toward [Effortless Sobriety]. 'No' is a complete sentence. And, that was my rare reply to situations I was not yet ready for, or interested in anymore. Like, a youthful, sotted Wedding and Reception, or a Power Drinking Weekend/Sports Playoff.

I viewed my Alcoholism much like my fair Skin that sunburns. I was born with it. No need to sit around and fret either Genetic predisposition. Shrug. Just roll with them, and play the hand I was dealt without regrets.

For me, I had to either map out and take the route I did, or I would also be White Knuckling it Decades on. That's one form of Sobriety, but not the optimum type of Recovery for me...