View Single Post
Old 12-08-2022, 02:46 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
ToughChoices
Yield beautiful changes

Originally Posted by kes2 View Post

In my rehab programme they've told me my biggest obstacle is that I still see it as a fight every day rather than a positive life choice I've made. They said in their experience, if I keep seeing it as a fight, I'll get too exhausted and that;s when It'll strike?
I've only very recently sorted out this important distinction for myself.

If I see sobriety as an "absence" of fun, relaxation, enjoyment then I am approaching it from a state of deprivation. And anyone who's dieted knows how hard it is to live in permanent deprivation! To always feel like you're missing out a bit.

When I begin to see sobriety as an "abundance" of freedom, relaxation, true fun, the chance to let your honest spirit out to thrive in the world, then I am approaching it from a state of power and gratitude. It takes away the desire to drink. It removes the attraction of the false relief because I KNOW that it is false. It's a facade. The truth of sobriety is MUCH more beautiful. It is real.

That's what I want. I think that may be what people with long-term sobriety mean when they say that no one could pay them enough to pick up again.

Just my thoughts on a really interesting subject, Kes!