Thread: new but not new
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2022, 04:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
DriGuy

Originally Posted by tammyjean View Post
I really dont want to drink anything at all anymore.
Good, we won't have to deal with the "learn to control my drinking" strategy, which for alcoholics, is a useless waste of time. Having said that, most of us have tried to do that, and in my case I tried to master that strategy for years, while I just kept getting worse.

It's good to have you here. I've known alcoholics who have successfully done recovery on their own. I've read they are a majority, but we don't hear from them much, because well... they did it on their own. So from personal experience I can't even guess at the size of that sector. I was not able to do that, and that meant I needed to share things with a group. Sharing is something I needed to do, but I won't say, everyone must, although I do think it is helpful. And of course, I never share anything I choose not to. We have the right to protect our privacy as much as we want.

You have already shared a lot, and I think you will fit well here. Of course, it's not all about sharing. Recovery involves listening and with a serious attitude. There was so much I had to learn, so much I didn't know when I first started that the only way to catch onto recovery was to hear what others had done that worked for them. You have to listen, but you are not expected to follow everyone's advice. But seriously evaluate everything that is presented to you. I was surprised more than once, that some recommendations that made no sense to me, actually worked when I tried them. There are surprises in the process. Another word for these types of surprises is just "learning." Not everything worked for me. We are all different. I spent a lot of time sorting out the things that would work, and discarded others.