View Single Post
Old 12-07-2022, 11:28 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Sampierce55

Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post
I was drinking when I came here too.
If you've never looked into AVRT I recommend having a look.
I don't know a lot about it but the thing I took from it was the ability to recognize and beat my AV. Addictive Voice.
This has been my savior.
To Know the enemy and be able to deny it victory.

It's that voice that tells you need, want, deserve, gotta have, a drink. Even when your rational brain wants nothing to do with alcohol or drugs.
Well I didn't plan for today so might as well drink.
Gotta get some rest so I Need a drink.
I'll quit tomorrow.
I'm not Really That bad.
I just can't handle life.

I am not picking on you so please don't take it that way. Dang near my entire life was spent listening to my AV. My every thought was designed to keep me drinking and I didn't even know it.
Once I realized this it was like a light bulb went on. Life was still there and early sobriety can be rough but everytime the AV speaks to me I see it for what it is.
A killer. Life stealer. Liar
Why would I listen to a liar? A killer? A thief?

You can do it man
Life will never be rainbows and unicorns but it is easier without alcohol. For me anyway.

I think most would agree
Probably the best way I've heard anyone ever explain the AV I've never thought about it as the alcoholic voice it's always been more off I'm thinking I have a character defect and there is something wrong with me.

I've been on this forum for two days and I've got better advice than any group or meeting I've ever been too so as mentioned previously I appreciate all the comments and advice/tips.

Sam