View Single Post
Old 12-07-2022, 04:57 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Sampierce55

Originally Posted by novips View Post
You write: "I tried AA for months and worked the steps and that didn't seem to help it was always listening to the same old stories from the same old people." I have heard this a lot and whenever I sit down with someone making a statement like this and review the steps in reverse it turns out they are lying to themselves about actually having worked the steps. You can try this yourself. Start with the 12th Step: How many guys have you sponsored and taken through the Steps? Then perhaps jump to the 9th Step: How many amends did you have on your list after completing your 4th and 5th Step? How many of those amends have you made? And so on. I have a high degree of confidence that if your experience of A.A. is that it's "always listening to the same old stories from the same old people" -- then you probably haven't truly worked the Steps. I could obviously be wrong about that -- but that's what my experience strongly suggests. As the Big Book says: "Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path. Those who do not recover are people who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program, usually men and women who are constitutionally incapable of being honest with themselves." Feel free to PM me if you want to chat more about any of that.
and who are you to tell me I am lying to myself? as mentioned I have "tried" AA I have been to many meeting and it weren't for me and just because it works for you and I have seen it work for many people it doesn't for me.

I don't need any preaching thank you very much.

Sam