View Single Post
Old 12-06-2022, 06:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
KTB5000

I find letting go of my thoughts helpful. I like the mantra, "I don't drink no matter what." A friend of mine with a lot of sobriety asked me to come up with the worst situations, such as death of someone close to me, severe illness, sudden misfortunes, and ask myself if I would drink because of it. Usually, my reasons to drink are much more futile, simply something very small not going my way, like my property manager not responding to me right away, or watching prices go up by fifty cents on my favorite items. Other times, when I get stressed out because my 7 year old isn't following my directions or is acting like a 7 year old. Not getting my way and not being in control are big triggers for me.

What are your triggers that get the AV calling out to you? I also get the, 'you can have just one drink', this is the one that has to be smashed. The other thoughts come and go, but the thought that I can return to drink normally, (if I ever have), is the foundation of my sobriety. It is just not a possibility. I also repeat the serenity prayer.