View Single Post
Old 12-05-2022, 06:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sampierce55

Nothing else to try

So I am posting back here just to get a little bit of advice...

I am 31 at the moment been a binge drinker for the last 10 years or so my current drinking is probably drinking 3 days out off the week around 12 pints of fosters lager on each of them days.

I feel like I have tried so many things for this problem I first seen my GP when I was around 24 who here in the UK sent me to my local addiction centre which did help I tried the group things and I have taken anti cravings meds before such as acamprosate which I am on now and I have tried naltrexone as well which obviously help but don't stop you from going the shop to buy beer.

I have always had my issues but 6 months ago the girl I was with for 12 years just out of the blue dumped me possibly for the way I have been over 12 years and if that weren't enough she got with another guy who turned out to be one of my old housemates so that was a blow and set me back and since then I've just kinda been in a bit of a dazed depression state drinking to numb things even more.

I used to go the gym and box religiously since I was 16 years old I have trained and was a personal trainer up until covid hit and now I work from home for Universal Credit which is extremely boring and stressful not to mention there is a booze shop right next door to me so it's very easy to just go and drink.

I have been seeing another girl for the past few months and she's great but how long until she does what the last one did?

I tried AA for months and worked the steps and that didn't seem to help it was always listening to the same old stories from the same old people I don't think there's anything I haven't tried.

A week ago I got accepted for a new really good job within the NHS as a health coach as mentioned I have been a personal trainer for a very long time and thought it would be a good move it would get me out the house and give me a sense of purpose instead of being stuck on the phone lines all day but now that doesn't look like it's going to happen as I was convicted of assault and criminal damage about 4 years ago. I didn't got to prison or anything just a fine because I had never been in trouble before.

So I'm in a very low place at the moment and was here it ask is there anything else anyone could possibly recommend me to try and I have an appointment with a psychiatrist this week as they may think there is an underlying problem or something.

I get very obsessed about things the longer I go without drinking the more I think and crave it.

Thanks for reading.

Sam