View Single Post
Old 11-23-2022, 04:20 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
RecklessDrunk

The worst of my actual alcohol consumption was in late teens/early 20s. 20 years before I got sober.

I used drugs throughout. I was smoking pot at 9 years old. Alcoholic by 14, used angel dust, lsd, and cocaine by 15. I was on and off with drugs. By my 30s I would have to be drunk to actually want to do drugs. By the end I was only drinking a couple of nights per week and not drinking as much as alcohol but many times it would lead to drug use. Thats what finally took me down. Throughout my drinking one thing was consistent. I could not control how much I would drink or how I would behave. Fun nights in my younger days turned to pathetic later in life. It only gets worse with time even if the amount consumed decreases. Or so was my experience.

I think we go through phases with a lot of things in life. The way we physically and mentally react to alcohol seems to change patterns a little over time.

When I first got sober I had the idea that I am definitely not drinking before my court case for one. Then I thought I should probably not drink in the near future, I probably need at least several years sober and I will see where I am at. Then I thought maybe when I am old I will drink. I can't even say exactly when but maybe someday just not today or in the near future. I do not NEED to drink anytime soon. After a while sometimes just looking at a beautiful morning and thinking what it must be like to be retired. The thought hit me, why screw up a beautiful day like this with a drink? Why would I drink just because I had retired (if I ever can retire) and can do whatever. That's like exactly why NOT to drink. I may just never drink again.