View Single Post
Old 10-01-2022, 08:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Lautca
Sober since October 24, 1997

Hi gms. Everybody is different, which of course includes how alcohol affects those who consume it for a long time. Because you only had 6 or 7 weeks without drinking when you posted your question, from my own experience, it is very likely too soon to tell what your eventual outcome will be.

From my own experience, right after I quit, I had a slight drop in cognitive ability that lasted maybe three months. My background is in chemistry, and after I quit drinking, I had a hard time working with numbers and applying what I knew - very frustrating! The most noticeable problems I had were physical, though, my handwriting became uneven, and I developed double vision. I'd look at the moon, and there were two of them. All those problems went away after a few months, HOWEVER, my loss of cognitive ability, handwriting problems, and double vision, were exactly what I had experienced when I first starting drinking years earlier! It was ironic, that now that I wasn't drinking, I had all the symptoms that I was! But those resolved after a time.

As far as complete recovery, everyone is different. Speaking for myself, I was a heavy drinker for probably 25 years. Now, after almost 25 years of 100% sobriety, I have recovered all of my cognitive abilities. Those, plus I continued with my education and personality development. After I quit drinking, I worked hard on becoming the best person I could possibly be. I viewed becoming sober and HOW to stay that way as my greatest adventure, something to look forward to.

Sobriety was something I did for myself, it wasn't something that somebody else was doing for me. Others could and did assist, but the responsibility was mine, and mine alone. I had a job, too, and after I became sober, I two jobs. My job working at being sober is full time, coming up on 25 years at 24 hours a day. One way of looking at that job is my life depends on it.

Editorializing a bit, anyone who is headed toward sobriety should view attaining sobriety as their new job, with as few "days off" as possible. I'll tell you why, too! Being sober doesn't have any "days off". It just doesn't!