View Single Post
Old 05-25-2022, 05:52 AM
  # 317 (permalink)  
Mizz

Tevas are the greatest. Advbike. We know a good flip flop when we wear one. haha! My spouse said "They are probably going to discontinue your flip flop in about a decade." How dare he even use the word "discontinue" and "flip flop" in the same sentence. Now this is taking it too far.

Solving problems one mirror at a time:
I'm working away at my computer yesterday. My desk sits in the middle of the store. On one side I get the hear the music of the blenders and juicers. On the other side, there is a aisle of wine and our salad/ hot bar. My desk and department of a million tiny bottles is in the middle. We have a small square space to put our things, the computer, and a mirror hangs with some lights over it. We are surrounded by two counters. Its not an ideal space for more than one person, and its not an ideal space for customers to waltz into.

I was focused on computer work. I've learned throughout the years to tune all the noises out. I learned to focus when I need too. There is not much "thinking" time free of noise or people or helping people. I think better when its quiet but this is not the job I have or signed up for. So, there I was, doing my job, and a customer walks right into my desk area wanting to use the mirror.
I was startled. I didn't see her coming. The look on my face was one of surprise. "I just want to use this mirror" as she steps into my work zone stopping right before the invisible line that lives on the floor. My eyes dart from the computer and make my way to hers "I would like to step out of here first" I say. Her face contorts and she is offended by my eyes and the way I spoke. She tells me that I have looked at her wrong, and she now does not want to use the mirror. I apologize. Tell her I am sorry. I was "zoned" in on my work and didnt see her coming. Its okay to use the mirror I say. I would like to get out of the space though. In my defense, We are just getting out of COVID. I dont know her. I do not want to be crammed into a small square with a customer. Also, in her defense, she is the customer and she is right.

She makes her way to the register with all her products. I follow. Apologizing and apologizing some more. Is this one of those "Ive destroyed my hopes and dreams of a job title change before I even begin?" I work to smooth over the disgruntled customer and thinking about my proposal I submitted the day prior. Please don't let this be my Will Smith moment.

After more apologies and more words she says "Its okay. I don't live here. Its not going to ruin your reputation!"
I mean, okay. Thanks for that. I am not sure the damage she can do but apparently it involves peoples reputations and I'm not sure if I am being YELPED or canceled somewhere on the BIG WORLD that is the internet?

After she leaves in her mini skirt and boots, I immediately take the mirror down from the work space and set about to tear apart the department. This mirror is going to have a new home and everyone will be safe from darting eyes and startled tones. This is me: SOLVING PROBLEMS

I hang a sun hat in the space where the mirror lived. I have a million products in a million baskets. I am determined to not have this situation come up again. So, I am going to work today to finish this remodel and to wait and see if I have been canceled.
I dont really have a home for these products I have removed. Ive become good at TETRIS in real life. Thank GOD for that Nintendo game when I was a kid. Its prepared me for this moment.

Sober.
Solving life's problems one mirror at a time.