View Single Post
Old 04-26-2022, 01:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Jo43

Welcome Tgregory.

I'm in agreement that as long as you know you want it then you can do this. A plan is very important. AA says a day at a time but sometimes at the beginning that can be too hard so I started with an hour at a time (well I was fine until 4pm then I would be like ooooo wine o clock and thats when my one hour at a time started). I attended AA meetings online which were so helpful to me. I read lots of books on alcohol and sobriety and how addiction affects our bodies not just our minds. I included my loved ones so that they could support me and understood that I couldnt have just one drink. This site was immense especially at the beginning of my recovery. I was on here daily at least reading the posts even if I did not feel strong enough to post myself. Now with just over a year of sobriety I still come on here and post. Its about not dropping the ball. I still live by my one day at a time I will not have that first drink mantra. It will the mantra for the rest of my life. I know without a shadow of a doubt I do not want to ever have another drink as my life is so much better now I'm not drinking. Dont get me wrong the stress and anxiety is still there but I have built new pathways like meditation and mindfulness to help me through those hard days. Sugar was my best friend when I first quit too. I reasoned that even though sugar isnt good its better than alcohol. I have now recently started to cut my sugar back down which I'm sure my waistline will love me for but it worked for me. I'm not saying these paths will work but I love that we all can say what helped us and suggest and then you can try them and work out a plan that works beautifully for you. Remember anytime you feel you are struggling please come on here. We are all over the world (im in UK) so there will normally be someone about online that can respond and chat. And there is a wealth of information and advice on these forums! I have made some lovely friends on here and all we want is to support you and celebrate all your wonderful milestones!! Sending you hugs xx