Old 03-13-2022, 04:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Hodd

So I’ve done the course/retreat.

I’m not going to claim it changed my life or blew my mind, but there was a lot of good stuff relevant for the ex-drinker. Firstly, such retreats aren’t places for drinkers, so you’ll be spending time with like-minded non-drinkers. Some really nice people. I mentioned to a few (very briefly as I rarely talk to anyone publicly about it) about my drinking, and there was no judgment. A few people had overcome similar issues, but I’m happy to say no one laboured the point. It wasn’t that sort of event - that was my big problem last time I tried meditation. It became a free for all for tales of woe.

I don’t believe in reincarnation, and as it’s pretty much the main focus of Buddhism, I’m not going to progress far. Saying that, this concept of karma (which I think strictly speaking applies to past and future lifetimes and not this one) seems to exist in this lifetime too. The main instructor today said that when they took up this spiritual path, the good karma generated meant so many positive events subsequently just fell into place. That rang a bell with me. Whilst I’m not spiritual, quitting booze was my moment when I lucked out of karma points.

I’ll be going back for a few more retreats and events. For someone who wouldn’t have dreamed of setting foot in such a place a little over three years ago, I’ve yet again surprised myself with my open mind. I didn’t get wound up or bore anyone (as far as I know either ). Well recommended for ex-drinkers who are at least a few months in.