View Single Post
Old 02-25-2022, 09:27 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Colin1

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
But one thing to think about is how much of recovery is internal (as in mental) and how much is external (as in behavioral). One of my insights along the way was how much of recovery from addiction is behavioral, which is what I call the external part of me.
IMO our behavior is driven by our conscious and subconscious (the beast) mind. Unless I'm missing something here

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
I agree. No program works for everyone, but every program has something, if only one little thing that can be part of someone's toolbox. And my personal toolbox was my strongest asset in recovery. It just happens that AVRT comes closer to that strategy than any other, but it's still not a perfect match. It doesn't have to be, because essentially, we all work out of our own toolbox. Recovery is personal.
Yup, I agree totally DriGuy. My toolbox has a lot more in it than just my Big Plan, specially so soon in my sobriety. My confidence in being able to withstand any 'AV moment' is just not solid enough for me to put all my faith in that alone. So I have a backup plan b and a backup to the backup plan c ready just in case. Ya, I take this pretty seriously

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
I'm sorry.

You know what to do. It's just a matter of doing it.

What else is there?

Choose life.
Definitely Steely, it's just proven really hard for me to stick to 'just doing it' in the past. Gave it some thought and changed my plan to a way I think is better for me. So far so good.