Thread: #$%^!!
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2003, 07:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
mo

It is all about consequences

Hi Everybody

I have to agree with with Morning Glory on this also

The quacking about killing himself can be scary but it is usually an attempt to control and manipulate the hearer. .scare you into a major rescue.

Just sit tight and like Anns says it really is out of your hands. If you have done the letter writing and given the authorities your input . .that is enough

I think jail/prison is an ideal place for an addict who needs to suffer the consequences of THEIR actions but you guys knew that already.

My daughter is completing 8 months clean time after experiencing some pretty hefty legal consequences. She has a job and after completing the program will be on probation for a few more months. It is truly in her lap so to speak and she tells me staying clean is a one day at a time decision.

Remember it is about consequences. If an addict does not suffer from his action there is no motivation to change. It took me a long time to embrace that and today I have absolutely no problem with it.

I always think of that analogy of the band-aid. When we keep ripping the bandaid off the wound (by our attempts to help and control) we interrupt the healing process. Prison, fines, homelessness, hunger, desperation, loneliness . .those are the scabs that need to form for healing. .All that pain and desperation will either motivate a change or the addict will have to go back out using to have more heaped on. .

When we don't help and interfere the addiction may run its course quicker. .no guarantees. .but the odds of that happening are alot better than all the misquided "helping" to kill the addict.

So sending blessing to all and let's keep the faith! Mo