View Single Post
Old 11-17-2021, 08:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Indisposed

Originally Posted by sage1969 View Post
This is a difficult part, understanding that you are an empathetic person, and for whatever reason, most likely something in your formative years and / or your family of origin, caused you to learn some codependent behaviors. A good place to start learning about this is Melody Beattie's codependent no more.

Another concept that was difficult for me to understand was the difference this is relevant because it seems that codies (wildly waving my hand here) have a tendency to fall for the first person we meet without being somewhat selective about compatibility and red flags. For instance, until I took off my codie sunglasses, I didn't realise it's normal and ok to go on many first dates, and to say thanks but no thanks if I just didn't click. That scarcity mindset means we accept people as potential partners even if we're wildly not right for them or them for us, and also why we love so hard and then can't let go even when it becomes evident that letting go might be best for everyone.

So part of this journey for you might be taking a look at why you choose the people you do for friends and romantic partners, and what are your own behaviors, habits, and inner landscape / illusions you might construct about others.

This part here is tricky. Part of this is the bipolar, and part of it is the alcoholism. With bipolar, they can get very manipulating. Looking back, almost everything my deceased AH said was a lie, and sometimes there wasn't even a reason to lie, I think he just was not capable of being truthful. Not all people with bipolar are, but my qualifier was cruel, self - centered, and wildly out of control.

The alcoholic part, well, my deceased AH and my XABF, both said whatever they needed in order to be able to drink, so there were lies and manipulation then also. As long as the outcome is to be able to drink, they don't really worry about whether it makes sense or is truthful.

As far as regret for not getting to know the sober person, well, that behavior might very well be the cheating person you've been dealing with. I realised I'd never seen my XABF sober until 1 1/2 years in and I'd gone away for a weekend with him. Dry drunk XABF was actually not very nice at all, I'd never seen him speak to me in a mean way before that. If you've never seen her sober til now, it might be that this is what it would be like, she might not be as nice as you'd once thought / hoped. Another thing to consider is that the first year of sobriety and recovery are hard work and most people don't have time for relationships, both because of the work and because they may not feel good and / or be in a good frame of mind all the time, and they can be less than good company.

It's hard to say, but to be honest, again, you can't spend too much time on this trying to find out the whys. Perhaps try to shift your focus, attention, and energy onto yourself and some healthy rest and self - care.
That's the hardest part I'm having coming to terms with is that I truly did believe she wanted to be by herself and work on herself alone during her recovery. It's what counselors, sponsors, and everyone tells you to do. So when she originally told me that, while it wasn't what I was looking forward to doing, I was willing to let her do that and wait for her to finish this journey.

When she tells me one thing and then legitimately 2 days later, deletes me on social media and uploads a picture with another guy in recovery broke my heart. It was probably the toughest punch I've ever took in life and 4 days later I still don't understand. From my research and from what everyone has told me, cheating on spouses is very common in rehab and for a multiple amount of reasons. It's just really disappointing because as said in my original post, this guy isn't good for her for a number of reasons but I guess she will have to find that out herself. Just really disappointing because now I know she's going to relapse again and not take her recovery serious. Part of me is worried she's going to get arrested or kill herself being in such bad company. She had such a good support group in me, her family, and a couple of caring friends. She burned bridges with every one of us.