View Single Post
Old 11-17-2021, 08:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
trailmix

Originally Posted by Ez0221 View Post
Everyone around me and her was very aware of how toxic it got between us because of everything I said, but we did have some bright moments that made me feel like it could work if she did get sober. I think that's the hardest part I'm having to come to terms with.
As Sage touched on, many believe that the alcoholic puts down the drink and what they will get is a partner like they had in those "bright moments" or before they became an alcoholic or when they first met. Your relationship with your ex has always been with an active alcoholic, even if she did manage a few weeks sober, so there was/is no way to know what she will become or has become now. Those bright moments were with an active alcoholic.

It will be a long road to recovery, if she chooses to take that road.

I think it might be wise to learn as much about alcoholism/addiction as you can (for you, not her). Until you understand it, you will try to make logical sense out of something that is really not logical.

Oh and there is no "rock bottom" as such, people quit at different times for different reasons. She just wasn't ready to quit (may still not be) but she had no choice but to go to rehab.

There is a book that is recommended here more often than any other - Codependent no more by Melody Beattie. It discusses relationships and boundaries, control etc. You might find it helpful to ease your mind about all of this.

You are going to be ok, things will not always look this bleak. As with any relationship break down, it's going to hurt for a while and it's going to take a while for you to heal from it, but you will heal as you go along and it will get easier.