View Single Post
Old 11-03-2021, 05:03 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
dustyfox

I enjoyed this thread a lot! I also had never heard of AVRT before SR , had previously only tried white knuckling my way through not drinking.
The day I went for a walk, after reading about AVRT on here, is crystal clear in my head. I told my family I needed to go out, barely waited for their response. Ten minutes away I stopped in the middle of a park, it was raining, but fresh and the trees were that new green of early summer and everything seemed actually 'magical' - Despite the magic, terror gripped me so I felt dizzy almost sick. I said out loud. 'I will never drink again and I will never change my mind'. My heart was pounding, my brain felt like it would explode, my body felt like it would fly apart. It was an extraordinary moment - I guess I named the beast - I have not killed him and he prowls around , sometimes snarling, sometimes whimpering, but wow that day was a powerful one for me, life changing . It may sound dramatic, it felt dramatic, it was dramatic, it was me deciding I wanted to claim my life back from the jaws of addiction.