Old 10-30-2021, 10:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
trailmix

It's nice that he wants to get sober, I say good for him.

So what has he done so far. Oh right, gone to jail, with serious charges which will see him being in jail for probably 2 years at least.

The real question is, what has he done for you/your relationship? Nothing, zero, nada, zilch.

Honestly, it would be SO nice for him to get you to bail him out and he can stay at your place. Who wouldn't want that? But what does that mean for you? He has had a few weeks of enforced sobriety, that's it.

I'm also not saying he is beyond hope, I don't think that, what I do believe is that he is still treading the very selfish path of an addict. How selfish is it to try to drag you in to this colossal mess he has made? If he had called you from rehab and said he is seriously working on himself and has been for months - ok, but no, he calls you from jail to bail him out!

Is he concerned about your feelings? How you will cope? What it will cost you if he skips bail? What it will cost you in general to support him? I mean those are just the basics. I'll guess they haven't crossed his mind.

All this aside, he is not in recovery. Giving him another chance at a relationship with you right now would be, in my opinion, much too harmful to you.

You have mentioned you have a therapist and that it doesn't seem to be doing much good. I would really suggest you perhaps seek a therapist that is at least familiar with alcoholism and codependency.