View Single Post
Old 10-13-2021, 08:27 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Evoo

Originally Posted by tammy711 View Post
That is all it takes a simple, “not me.” Whenever a thought or feeling related to drinking surfaces, I quickly respond, “not me.” I say it with confidence and maybe even a little amusement, but the AV seems to shut right down and I am on with other things.

I started doing that last weekend to help with the separation of the real/true me and AV/beast. I am trying not to be skeptical of how well it works. I have had a stressful week, both at work and home. Honestly - those stressors didn’t bring about any real desires for stopping to get a bottle.

My new go to phrase kind of reminds me of the end of the last Hunger Games movie when Peeta would have to ask Katniss, “real or not real” in order to confirm his visions/thoughts were real or just in his head.

I know my beast lay asleep with one eye half open, but I am living with both eyes wide open. My energy levels are back (at least in the mornings). I actually walked into work a couple days last week with this huge smile on my face saying to myself, “I feel fantastic!”

I wanted to thank those again who helped me. I am very excited and optimistic about my future again.

I hope everyone is well.

-
Just read through all of this. This is AWESOME. When I had the revelation that I could externalize my addiction and separate myself from it, it was a truly life-changing notion. I could start to feel my AV bargaining, suggesting, laying the path to relapse brick by brick, and stop it in its tracks. I love the "not me" line you've decided to use.

Before reading about AVRT here, I had literally never considered this as an option. I was inexorably tied to my AV, I was my AV. Now it almost feels like my AV is a different person (which of course it isn't). And the AV isn't some irrational/diseased thing, either. It's perfect rational to want to

Let us know how this new realization treats you in the days ahead!