View Single Post
Old 07-15-2021, 02:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Patcha

Originally Posted by Aellyce View Post
This reminds me of the personality discussions here on SR, using the MBTI system. What do you guys all score on that? I think I'm a born and raised INTP, developed with time and intent into INTJ (professional assessments say the same), but not yet developed enough... If you are not familiar, look up theory vs implementation. Even just posting something like this is probably very INTP-like - that abstract, theoretical orientation... but I need to break this stupid addiction for good.
I think the MBTI is fine as a tool to understand other people and yourself to some extent, but it's no different to horoscopes in the newspaper. It is relevant to some people, some of the time. It won't help you get sober. Our AVs like to keep us stuck in theory and mulling things over instead of taking action. The only way to break an addiction is to not do the thing one moment at a time. "For good" only happens in hindsight. Focusing on not drinking NOW. Is the only way you'll get to "for good". There is no magic moment where you're ready to cast it off for good. If there was, you wouldn't be addicted. It would just be something you decided not to do anymore.