View Single Post
Old 07-13-2021, 05:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
reroute

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
This book differs from the more typical programs of recovery, because it stays connected to what we have actually learned in recent years about the chemistry of addiction, and avoids philosophical lectures. After all these years of addiction and recovery, I finally understand why alcoholics cannot stop after the first drink. It's not because we lose control, are weak willed, or lacking in moral fiber. It is a bio-chemical reaction that kicks in after the first drink, and becomes more and more pronounced over our drinking years. And for the first time, at least for me, how and why it happens is explained clearly, not with chemical charts and equations, but explanations of how these chemical reactions create demand for more alcohol.

But how does this affect recovery? First of all, understanding why and how it happens goes a long way toward understanding ourselves, and helps us understand why we need to commit ourselves to quitting entirely, without holding open options for one day drinking like a normal person. Usually, we are told we must, but expected to accept this on faith, but now you can read about the science and accept it as actual knowledge. This is not Stephen Hawking science. It's clearly for the layman, but much more clearly explains why we act as we do when we drink.

Second this knowledge clearly leads us un-distracted to the final steps we must take to solve our problem with alcohol. If you want a better understanding of why we act so stupid around alcohol, Alcohol Explained explains it as simple and clearly as possible, and takes the mystery out of our behavior. Understanding that this as a normal chemical response and not a moral failure on our part is important, and that point needs to be driven home clearly.

Thanks to the new guy in the form who mentioned this book. I'm happy I found it.
Thanks DG - I just purchased this book.