View Single Post
Old 07-07-2021, 06:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Aellyce

Thanks for sharing about the approaches you are using, Patcha. I will check out those mentioned that I have not heard of yet.

Sam Harris' Waking Up thing is very useful for learning to handle my cravings better, because it focuses on the bigger picture of the events of the mind and reality - things like what consciousness is, all the different things and perceptions it includes, what the self is (and how it can be an illusion)... It's not focused on addictions and recovery, but I immediately found applications to that purpose, especially the cravings as mentioned. In brief, the idea is to realize, and never forget, how minuscule room and role the transient desire for drinking takes up in that wonderful whole consciousness has access to, all the vast richness of the world and the mind we can explore and enjoy. And how, when allowing grasping on insignificant, momentary desires such as the drinking urges, we block access to that enormous and beautiful reality, also destroy it while distorting it with the effects of alcohol. I obviously have a lot more to learn and improve even in only this application since I still gave in and drank recently, but actually have had more success managing cravings with this approach lately than failures. As a result, I drink less frequently, but when I do it's still the same mindless, useless, sickening outcome, it needs to go completely.

The actual with the Waking Up practice is very simple, only 10 minutes per day as you also suggested, but the app has access to a lot more theory, conversations with prominent teachers and thinkers and so on. Unfortunately, only a few initial sessions are free, then you have to pay for it, and I almost decided not to pay thinking there are so many free meditation resources around... but I feel it's been one of the best investments of the year for me so far because it's so compatible with my interests and cognitive style, I relate to and pick up the practice pretty easily and it builds up nicely, with lots of repetitions, which cement it more in the mind. Also very enjoyable, I look forward to practicing each day. The teacher and practice is a bit more cognitive and theoretical than some of the meditations I've tried before that involve more of that loving-kindness you mentioned (including in Recovery Dharma meetings), but I think this is a better start as it is easier for me to get into, due to my own style. But apparently some of those things focusing on loving-kindness and acceptance are coming, I'm just not there with the course yet, started from complete beginner level.

Another teacher I love and studied a lot with in the past is Alan Wallace - similar in that he also occupies a space between western science and eastern spirituality. I obviously am drawn to these approaches and teachers because it's my natural orientation as well, but Wallace gets vey complex and high-level. I love that but lack foundation in many ways and, right now, I need something simpler and more directly applicable to my recovery, hence the Harris method. I think Harris will also get into the same principles later that are inherent to Vipassana practice and Dzogchen teachings. I can even imagine staying somewhere in Asia to dive into some of these much more deeply at some point at a monastery or something, similarly to what these teachers I like had done themselves. But I probably need to progress more with my recovery first and have some personal obligations to take care of where I am right now, before I would be comfortable doing anything like that.