View Single Post
Old 07-06-2021, 01:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Patcha

It's definitely been my experience that "process addictions" become apparent now that I have dropped my primary addiction to alcohol. Meditation gives me clarity about my thoughts and behaviours. One small thing I decided to change was to stop swearing, even inside my own head. That's been an interesting experiment in mindfulness. I'm not addicted to swearing, but it's a lazy habit I won't miss. I don't get mad at myself when I catch myself swearing, I just stop the thought and carry on. I doubt I'll ever identify as a Buddhist, but I find this philosophy so helpful. I've tried for years to develop a meditation practice and was never able to maintain it or sit with the initial discomfort of learning the basics. Sometimes I am climbing the walls and squirming for 10 minutes, sometimes it's so easy and effortless I decide to continue for an hour. Most of the time it's somewhere in the middle - not difficult, but not easy either. Either way, I just commit to a minimum of 10 minutes every single day. It's a non-negotiable, like abstaining from alcohol. It's the foundation everything else rests on. The benefits of doing it pay off in all the other areas of my life. It's like going to the gym. Not necessarily fun as I do it, but as I get stronger I feel the benefit of that in the rest of my life. I have found that if I treat my craving and suffering like a friend who is suffering and embrace that friend physically and emotionally with loving-kindness, I am no longer frightened of that friend and the craving and fear subside.