Thread: AVRT meetings
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2021, 08:04 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
GerandTwine
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by dustyfox View Post
Yes I see. AVRT is just a technique. And a technique that works because Permanent Abstinence works in that there can be no poisoning of the body by alcohol, if no alcohol is consumed. I suppose the many, many threads and posts around this subject stem from the inability, and doubt, that some people have in accepting it/understanding it/ believing it. And that is in itself odd as it is a fact not an opinion! In the same way that 'We will not starve to death if we eat food' is a fact not an opinion. Sometimes the simplest answers take the longest to understand. And of course the only thing stopping anyone from understanding/believing/accepting that fact is the AV - I feel pretty stupid for not seeing this decades ago! Lastly of course ( and this is not my AV talking) after understanding/accepting/believing there is implementing it.
Not to deny your feelings, but I would not call it “stupidity.” Our society is rife with all kinds of accommodations supporting the AV that those of us who are chemically dependent and getting into more and more trouble are not in a good position to step back far enough and see what is and has been going on for many decades, institutionally and professionally. The gigantic service industries serving substance abusers ameliorate the AV without ever actually identifying it.

The various organizations overseeing the disciplining of drunkards crimes and misdeeds have a legitimate argument in not knowing whether a person pledging to never drink again is telling the truth. I believe substance abusers should be given at least one, maybe two chances, after which, throw the book at them and/or mandate a life long recovery way of life program.

On the positive side, while no one really knows for sure if another person has made the Big Plan, the person making the plan knows absolutely that they did actually make that plan. They cannot lie to themselves about never doing something that is such a specific, obvious, in-your-face, complex, voluntary activity.