Old 05-19-2021, 11:42 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Fusion

Originally Posted by Aellyce View Post
I think one of the ways my Beast/AV is in such stark contrast with my sober self that can make good decisions is this orientation to very strictly present vs. longer-range, forward thinking. My addicted part is definitely severely myopic, which is so alien for the rest of me that is not impulsive at all...

I find this interesting given how what we call the Beast grows out of the part of the brain that normally serves survival...
I agree it's fundamental. It's the ambivalence. My Beast/AV/Voice of Addiction is solely interested in survival NOW, and damn the future, doesn't care if I drink to excess today, risk my life and prejudice my future/tomorrows. I call it my Instant Gratification Monster.

Whereas, the future planner, I call it my Pre-frontal cortex and associated brain parts, is interested in my well-being today, and survival in the future, for which it forward plans. The longer I dwell on this issue, the more I believe it boils down to the 'which do you feed' concept. The future planner me, must be nourished, so that the Instant Gratification Monster is starved.

A Carpe Diem power grab - for my future wellbeing.