Thread: AVRT meetings
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2021, 06:40 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
DriGuy

Originally Posted by GerandTwine View Post
Hi DG,

I believe it is because there is SO MUCH Addictive Voice talk within this thread that is either addressed tangentially or not identified at all. It would be a good exercise in AVRT to take this thread and highlight all the AV talk.
I've been aware of you doing that, and it's starting to rub off. Now I find myself doing it, but just in my head.

I think you meant “UNnecessary.”
Yes, when I finally caught that mistake, it was way past the forum time limit to make corrections.

I believe the reason the RR book is so long (AVRT doesn’t take that long to describe and understand) is because there is SO MUCH Addictive Voice in our society at large. It has become institutionalized. So Trimpey spends time creating a framework for detaching from that. It is important and useful to read the glossary at end of the book and understand those terms as there defined.
I didn't read the glossary. It was part of the things I skipped as I assumed was Trimpey was just driving his point home. The reason I was so lax at that point, was I felt I understood it well enough. I understand Trimpey, or maybe more correctly he resonates so much with my experience that I feel like I've got it. And then there's a the part of me being secure in my recovery. There is no need to explore the minutiae. Am I wrong? Could be. I've been there before, although not about never drinking again, but perhaps I could glean more understanding. But you know, I don't believe I need Trimpey's level of expertise. I'm secure.

You have made about 2.5 posts per day every day here over the last 2.5 years since you joined SR; and you have 25 years of abstinence and over a decade of no f2f meeting attendance. AVRT recommends disconnecting all life activities as a permanent abstainer from the Technique itself as practiced so speedily with the Big Plan. You have not done that as you stated recently you came to this addiction recovery forum seeking general social interaction
That's fine AVRT recommends that. I understand the point it's trying to make. But it's a recommendation, not an order. I'm not going to flee from alcoholic recovery discussions. It is a subject of great interest. People write books about it, and devote their lives to it, including Trimpey. Leaving the community behind does not need to be an obsession. But I understand what he's trying to point out.

(not that you were here to carry the message to others in order to secure your own recovery). This doesn’t mean you are at risk of drinking again, but in AVRT terms it is AV activity to backtrack into the recovery community once you have a secure permanent abstinence; unless you have a clearly stated AVRT supportive purpose to be here as I do.
I'm going to disagree here. First, you are correct that this is/was about social interaction. I had just gotten tired of a poorly monitored forum infested with trolls and was looking for a less toxic environment. This was a logical place to look, because the format of such a place demands people are helping each other, and if done properly that means a more civil environment. And yes, since I am here being supportive in what meager way I can seems like an appropriate thing to do. What would the alternative be for me? Was my subconscious AV calling me back to a pointless exchange of unnecessary discussion about alcohol, or worse yet wanting me to drink the stuff? I guess it's up for you to decide that. I've already decided.

I think Alleyce has recently said she is “too selfish” to be here purely altruistically. That is normal. I am here purely altruistically to keep AVRT pristine. That is unusual. That’s why I appreciate this subforum of “Permanent Abstinence” created just over three years ago to be a “safe” place to discuss AVRT and expose the Addictive Voice more completely.
And you are doing that. I noticed that days ago. You're message is clear to me. You are here to explain and not be side tracked by misunderstanding or objection. Although as a side issue, it may come across to others as judgemental. I don't think it is, and I recently backed off on that a bit myself after watching and understanding you. You are doing a good thing. Like Trimpey, you are driving the point.

BUT... here you are in a recovery group. You explain clearly you are not here as a response to your AV. BUT... here you are in a recovery group. Now can you apply your perspective of yourself to your perspective of me? Or do our levels of expertise or some other nuance make your purpose of being here different from mine? We are both here talking about alcohol. I'm not going to drink, and I doubt you will either. That's good enough for me.