Thread: AVRT meetings
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2021, 08:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
GerandTwine
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
I'm new to Rational Recovery, although the gist of it resonates so well with me, because I've been doing it intuitively almost since I started to get well. I sense that this is an interesting discussion, but I confess, I'm having a hard time following it. I think I could if I took more time and studied it very very carefully taking breaks to digest small parts at a time. Why is this?
Hi DG,

I believe it is because there is SO MUCH Addictive Voice talk within this thread that is either addressed tangentially or not identified at all. It would be a good exercise in AVRT to take this thread and highlight all the AV talk.

The book was kind of the same way. I got it. I got it, but some of the parts I just flew through as they seemed necessary
I think you meant “UNnecessary.”
to me. Part of that may because I'm of the notion that in my situation, if things ain't broke, you don't need to fix them. And now I'm feeling derelict in my studies. But maybe I'll come back to that and finish it more thoroughly. From this thread, I do now understand that the method may not be that intuitive for many of us, and I'm sure that if I study it more, I'll find somethings I don't understand in the book either. What I do know is that the parts I've discovered on my own have served me well for so many years...
I believe the reason the RR book is so long (AVRT doesn’t take that long to describe and understand) is because there is SO MUCH Addictive Voice in our society at large. It has become institutionalized. So Trimpey spends time creating a framework for detaching from that. It is important and useful to read the glossary at end of the book and understand those terms as there defined.

You have made about 2.5 posts per day every day here over the last 2.5 years since you joined SR; and you have 25 years of abstinence and over a decade of no f2f meeting attendance. AVRT recommends disconnecting all life activities as a permanent abstainer from the Technique itself as practiced so speedily with the Big Plan. You have not done that as you stated recently you came to this addiction recovery forum seeking general social interaction (not that you were here to carry the message to others in order to secure your own recovery). This doesn’t mean you are at risk of drinking again, but in AVRT terms it is AV activity to backtrack into the recovery community once you have a secure permanent abstinence; unless you have a clearly stated AVRT supportive purpose to be here as I do.

I think Alleyce has recently said she is “too selfish” to be here purely altruistically. That is normal. I am here purely altruistically to keep AVRT pristine. That is unusual. That’s why I appreciate this subforum of “Permanent Abstinence” created just over three years ago to be a “safe” place to discuss AVRT and expose the Addictive Voice more completely.

GT