View Single Post
Old 04-06-2021, 02:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Cura

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post

Al Anon is a great support. They do have online meetings as well if they aren't offering face to face meetings in your area right now. You say:
  • I have PTSD triggered by the smell of strong alcohol/sweat (not related at all to now) and his drinking triggers it.
  • it's hard not to feel unloved or worthless
  • My safe space mentally is home, but that's been taken away.
  • I am exhausted and emotional and feeling alone
Then you say:

"It shouldn't be so hard. He's not actually hurting anyone but himself"

See the disconnect there?
I suppose i feel like it shouldn't be hurting me. I see your point. I've read some stuff on here that's helping and even more confusing all at once. I guess that's just learning.

How do people watch this and feel these things while still doing their own thing? I feel like I'd have to disconnect a part of me to do it if that makes sense... And how do you respond when people tell you to just leave? The idea of leaving to make him 'see what's at stake' feels manipulative and makes me think it would only inspire short term change or make things worse, but my counsellor says that if it triggers my PTSD and is causing stress I should consider leaving him... First time I've ever found this counsellors response to be so far off my own beliefs but am I missing something here? I know no one can tell me what's right for me without knowing more, but its been said like it's obvious and standard to leave if you love an alcoholic that doesn't want to quit.