Old 03-26-2021, 04:41 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
DriGuy

Originally Posted by msl999 View Post
I soon realized ((by reading that 6-part thread) that I was doing AVRT half-assed, and I needed to make a REAL Big Plan. So I bought the book and read it, also read all of that 6-part thread and made my Big Plan.
Everything I hear about AVRT sounds spot on to me, but having found my own way years ago, I'm more of an observer than a practitioner of AVRT. Well, that's not quite right,either. It seems what what I read reflects most of what I have learned and applied to my own recovery. I'm certainly not the expert, but I am a big fan. But so much for my introduction.

What I wanted to comment on is about doing AVRT half-assed. In early recovery and even before, doing things half-assed applies to almost every potentially successful program one might adopt and subsequently fail at. Basic survival as in "not dying" often serves us well with a half-assed approach. Not so with recovery. In early recovery our tendency to default to "half-assed," only to fail and fail again is a near universal failure.

In the early stages of failure, we don't see ourselves working in a half-assed mode. We see ourselves working as we always have and staying alive in the process. When we do recognize, usually after we have made the necessary corrections, that we were giving our plan only half of our attention, we have crossed an important bridge. That bridge was commitment to following a good strategy to the letter and not taking another drink.