Old 03-23-2021, 12:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Aellyce

I can revive this thread because I just started really using the AVRT proper last weekend, after a brief but very regretful relapse. Also re-reading the RR book - it speaks to me now so much more loudly than a few years ago when I first read it. I also didn't read it originally with actually making a Big Plan but with lots of skepticism and criticism. I keep thinking it's kinda like back then, it wasn't even me reading it primarily, but my Beast Now, I actually get it and it all makes sense.

Before the relapse, I was mostly using the SMART program, where the Urge Management section is basically an expanded, modernized, more sophisticated version of AVRT, plus a few active distraction techniques and encouragement to attend meetings. SMART worked very well for me for >3 months, I felt great and had made a lot of constructive, progressive changes in my life within a short period of time. Obviously I relapsed though, so it wasn't that successful in the longer run. I decided to take a simpler, more focused approach with the original AVRT now and I've been feeling very comfortable with it during the past week or so, in spite of at least some "beast attack" pretty much every day so far. I also find it easier and less anxiety-provoking to just use AVRT vs. always obsessing about scheduling meetings and just overthinking a more complex program. So far, I do feel AVRT is more manageable for me and also more satisfying.

I have one simple question to whoever is interested. SMART encourages doing many of the urge management and self-regulation exercises in writing, using worksheets and instructions they provide. I did a lot of that during the 3 months and actually enjoyed it. However, now reading the RR book and thinking more, it seems all the writing and detailed analysis has probably often achieved the opposite effect to what's intended in AVRT at least: instead of separation, it more forced me to engage with the cravings, embrace and try to understand Beast, and focus on the AV. Has anyone had similar experiences? During the past week, I have not done any writing and detailed analysis of my AV, more just acknowledge and dismiss it immediately. I do find it goes away more quickly and I feel much better not feeling I have to report the cravings to someone else, to "seek help".

Thoughts, experiences?