View Single Post
Old 02-22-2021, 04:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
ringoffire

I guess I will share my experience here.

The last 2 times I drank, I am not sure what happened. That is the out of control/unmanageable aspect I guess. In terms of cravings, well not a lot to be honest. Never really had them. For my long spell of sobriety (longish - 8 months) before my last 2 relapses, I even had a couple bottles of whiskey and some beers in the fridge that I never had the urge to drink or touch.

The second to last time I drank, I was 8 months sober, and things were looking up. Just got back from being away, end of summer/early fall beautiful weather, my gf had just left for a week to see her family. I just cleaned my house, worked out with my free weights and kettlebell - and drank my protein shake. I was in the kitchen, sweaty, happy, and on top of the world. My mood was stabilizing, my energy coming back and the 'fog' was lifting. I thought, 'you know, I might as well have a whiskey and get a bit drunk tonight, I will drink some water in the morning and have a sneaky drunk in watching my favourite videos to relax'. Well, after the first drink, I knew the bottle wasnt enough, and I "woke up" a week later, having gone to the liquor store every day and scraped myself together.

The last time I drank, well technically second to last (long story) was after getting back from a "staycation" hotel holiday with my gf. The last night we were there, we split a bottle of rose wine in the tub. I caught a little bit of a buzz, but didnt have any desire for anymore. The next day, I was on my own, and thought 'gee I would like to finish that wine buzz off with something a little more giving' so i bought 2 bottles of the same rose, drank them both to myself, and woke up a week later again, this time by taking myself to the hospital for withdrawl/detox.

I guess TL;DR - I do not really have urges or cravings, its rarely in my mind - but when I have that 'first drink' it is unmanageable.