View Single Post
Old 02-02-2021, 11:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kaily

Having had so many attempts I didn't manage to stop drinking until things had got really bad. I was drinking morning, noon and night. Basically if I was awake I was drinking till I passed out. I had totally lost control.

When I finally managed to stop, 27 months ago, my cravings were absolutely relentless for a long time. The alcohol isle in the supermarket made me feel dizzy with its pull. I worked so hard not to give in. I walked on average 10 miles a day, never carried money with me so I couldn't impulsively buy drink. I posted here, paced the floor, ate anything I wanted. They just did not stop, but nor did I. I was determined not to give in. I felt like I was different to everyone else. They were getting better and I wasn't.

Even now they come with a vengeance, not everyday but when they strike they are so strong, I have to sit on my hands so to speak. I try not to say too much as I feel like I should be setting a good example to others, not sprouting on about how hard it is and how I am still struggling.

All I can say is it can be done, you have to fight that urge that sends you running for the drink. It feels uncomfortable and unnatural. Every fibre of your being is telling you to drink, you literally have to fight your own self!

Look at it as a challenge like no other. Good Luck.