Old 12-13-2020, 10:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
akrasia

Co-dependency by proxy--call the handmaiden

Hi everyone, I have not been posting much but have been lurking.

My alkie ex and I are still friends. I don't know if I'll ever get over him. I moved out of the marital home about three years ago, and last year moved to a new town about an hour away.

He's having a spectacular bender at the moment.

It's funny that--now that I am really out of the picture, everyone is ringing me and emailing me like, "What can we do about him?"

Our neighbour rang me last night to say he'd been staggering along the street to get alcohol. Neighbour helped him back in the house and poured all the alcohol away. She said, "Was that the right thing to do?"

Another friend has been emailing me and copying others (I think other friends) describing the state of him and the house. Very long detailed posts about the vomit on the floor and the uneaten food and the bottles. Finally last night she wrote that the situation was urgent and "Akrasia as next of kin should call his doctor and notify his brother".

I wrote back to her copying the other randoms saying that she was describing everything I'd lived with for ten years and that I had tried going to his doctor, locking him in the house, and screaming down the phone to his addiction counsellor to get him into rehab before he died. I told her if she saw something that warranted calling an ambulance that option was open to her.

It really bothers me that these people whom I thought of as friends seem to see me as a handmaiden.