Thread: Help needed
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2020, 06:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
GerandTwine
Not The Way way, Just the way

Hi Tatsy,
First, thanks for reading my Blog here. Yup, the original Washingtonians were right on with the pristine pledge of permanent abstinence, but the program was quickly devoured by other powerful institutions that morphed it into a failure.
Originally Posted by Tatsy
Thanks for replying GT. Are you paid by Jack Trimpey, of Rational Recovery,...
Hmmm, I guess if I think in the term “paid” you are using, I could figure how much I’ve saved over the decades by not spending valuable time “in recovery” going to meetings, buying gas, car expenses, etc; not donating $1 - $2 hundreds of times. Yes, I guess you could say Jack Trimpey “paid” me by creating AVRT, which I used to get myself back into the normal stream of life with my recovery completely behind me. I’ve saved mucho dolleros.
to protect the registered AVRT, ...
As I understood why the Washingtonians were so short-lived, it became clear to me that something was preventing AVRT from becoming short-lived. It is now over a quarter century old. I think it is the legal control over AVRT being registered that has kept it pristine, sort of as a Manual of How to Quit for Good, or Quat, as dwtb has identified. So, it’s kind of you to think my several posts a year is protecting AVRT, but I believe it is the law that is doing that.
or have you volunteered, or assumed a protectionist role?
I wish I had as much discretionary time as you do Tatsy. Then I could do more pointing out of the AV as it is so frequently missed. I think my role has fallen far short of protectionist volunteering. I just have occasional participation here now.
BUT, on the other hand... there is SO MUCH already posted here on SR about AVRT, if someone wants to find it they have GOBS of good dialogue to read about. (I still encourage reading “Rational Recovery, The New Cure...” 1996, by Jack Trimpey.)
You’ve mentioned in the past Tatsy, about the apparent sudden drop off of AVRT threads here. Actually, if you study the dates and volume of the threads you will find a quite regular tapering off over time, as if “what more is there to say” that can’t already be searched for and read about.
In so doing, aren't you rendering AVRT dogmatic and somewhat exclusionary?
AVRT is like a MANUAL of Practice. Manuals are dogmatic by their very nature; and I believe AVRT is actually ANTI-exclusionary. As i mentioned earlier, it offers a small window in these rooms of recovery through which an addicted person may finally see a way out of recovery back into the normal stream of life with total personal control over alcohol never being swallowed again.
And I don't understand your signature: Articulated Validated Recovery Tactics (AVRT). Because Trimpey's AVRT means "Addictive Voice Recognition Technique".
It’s just another way to describe AVRT in four suggestive words. I did not put (AVRT) in parentheses as you seem to be suggesting I did.
Hmmm, this leads me to think... I’m going to give you, Tatsy, and also Sohard, since she had the wherewithal to start the thread, a new mnemonic as a gift from me to you two.
AddVoiRe-CogTech. Yes, from me to you - AddVoiRe-CogTech. Now that I’ve given it to you, you can never un-give it back to me. Take it and use it and pronounce it however you like - or else... ( ;-)-(—<
Also, you said "It is possible, though, to take the pledge of Permanent Abstinence without using AVRT." I'm confused, are you promoting, or as you called it "revealing" the real AVRT or are you promoting the "pledge" aka the Washingtonians, from your blog?
The two are completely compatible and, in a way, symbiotic. In the early years of RR here, I think that was completely understood. There are people here who made their pledge and then found AVRT and used it to streamline their recovery. I am one of them. The unrecognized AV has planted roots attempting to separate the two.
In the 4th huge thread on AVRT, Terminally Unique said (thanks to msl999 for post #100 in soberFitness’ thread in this forum):

Originally posted by Terminally Unique
“All this said, knowledge of AVRT alone isn't going to get the job done, Pam. You will need to take the plunge, and nobody can do that for you. If you want a very good example of this, just look at Jack Trimpey. He obviously knew AVRT, but he still kept on smoking those cigarettes for years after he quit drinking. I know you may not believe me, but trust me, no Big Plan, no AVRT. Without it, it's just another one-day-at-a-time evasion scheme, and you won't appreciate its true potential.”

The Washingtonians had a 19th century verbosity about how they took the pledge, but it was remarkably pristine at the beginning in 1840, especially when it was popularly thought that drunkards couldn’t save themselves and were only useful as examples of what not to become.
“I will never drink again.” Is the basest English version of the pledge of permanent abstinence.
On a final note, I see nothing wrong with the tossed salad approach you mentioned, to include AV recognition, if it saves lives. You said "I’m not saying a tossed salad approach to recovery is wrong or not useful in some ways for an addicted person. I’m just saying it is not Addictive Voice Recognition Technique."
“AV recognition” can easily still not be AVRT, so I think we agree here.
...which leads me to suppose that you are either here to be pedantic, or here to protect Trimpey's registration of AVRT,
Well, we’ve already shown I’m powerless over that and it’s the law that protects AVRT, and as regards to pedantic, yes. The Addictive Voice absolutely requires its host to be pedantic about the Re-Cognition Technique. I would not doubt some who understand and use AVRT and have gotten on with their lives but check in here to read occasionally might even think I/we are not pedantic enough about explaining all the unrecognized AV they see blossoming all around even while the term AV is being used.
and thereby, possibly limit the potential lifesaving technique.
I don’t believe this follows. I believe it is the opposite. When people profess to be practicing AVRT without actually using the “lens of AVRT” (a lens made from the material of the Big Plan) that professing will unquestionably limit the Technique of AVR, as huge swaths of Addictive Voicing whizzes by completely unrecognized and thereby plants roots for even easier future non-recognition.
I just don't get your stance, GT,
Well, if this post doesn’t help your “don’t understand”, “confused”, and “just don’t get”, I guess we’ll just have to leave it at that.
or are you Trimpey?
Forum Violation #3. Breaching of Privacy
“...do not ask for personal information from others...”

GT