View Single Post
Old 07-27-2020, 09:19 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  
Bamboozle
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by Kat1313 View Post
Please share your journey from shame and guilt to standing with your head up high and no regrets.

Please tell me how you were able to put it all in the past and move forward without feeling like you are the worst person on earth. Will it get better? Will this feeling of anxiety and complete loneliness pass? How does one forgive herself?

Hello, Kat.

I didn't beat myself up. If I had, it only would have given me another excuse to keep drinking. I refused to wallow in my mistakes--what was done was done. The only thing I could do was move forward and the only way to do that was to reach out for help and stop drinking. I went to therapy regularly and took medication. I learned that I could live without alcohol, but I never would have gotten to that point if I hadn't given myself a chance.

You can do this, even if you don't believe it. I had a lot of doubts, but I didn't let my fears control the direction of my recovery.

I still have anxiety and depression. I haven't found the magic cure for either, but I get through it sober. I reach out for help when I need it. I engage in self care. I know that I can get through the rough moments. Alcohol would only add to my problems. So, I don't drink.

Forgive yourself. Just...do it. Seriously. Sometimes it helps to step outside of yourself and imagine how you would show love, caring and compassion to someone who's close to you. Would you be so hard on a friend, a loved one? If not, why are you being so hard on yourself? Show yourself the same level of kindness that you would give to others.

You can stop drinking for good. I did. It's been 11 years now. Many others here have quit for good, too. I don't post much here any longer, but the people here saved my life. Folks here are rooting for everyone to make it. They want to help. Let their words sink it. They know what they're talking about. And one day, when you've had a good length of sober time, you'll know it, too. And you might find yourself wondering how you ever believed the nonsense your brain generated in order to keep you drinking.

Take good care of yourself.