Old 07-01-2020, 02:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
acshore

Thank you all for the comments. One thing I found is that it is very hard to discern being an empath versus codependency. As an ACoA, I think I have codependent traits for sure, but I have always had very rigid boundaries. This was the exception. I've had a habit of "helping" people, but not without boundaries. I will tell you though, acting impulsively and "in the moment" out of fear when an alcoholic is unfairly imposing manipulation on you; stating they cannot survive unless you financially help them is emotionally unbearable, in a nutshell. And the manipulation? Yes, it works! Because you are not heartless, and the disease knows that. I remember telling my counselor around this time I was afraid to move in because his drinking was still active and he was not seeking help for himself. By this time, I had admitted myself for three days because of feeling such in despair mentally, I even put out a Facebook posting about feeling suicidal. I was constantly checking this man's online activity because I knew his pattern and learned to keep tabs on if he was not active, he was not good. I was feeling neglected because of his push-and-pull dynamic, leaving him food, trying to get him into rehab. He would be appreciative, then turn around and point the finger at me. He was not eating, yet he blamed me for trying to give him food. Same thing when he called at Christmas and I lay in a hospital; telling me he had lost so much weight and was not eating, then threatening suicide. What I learned is it is okay to be empathic, but WITHOUT being codependent. I had to separate myself until, and IF, he did get better. I did the one thing he did not count on, and that is for him to know he is still cared about no matter what he has done onto me, but that my separating myself was preservation not just for he and him finding his own way, but for I. I do not deserve abusive behavior, nor does he deserve to have someone support him being unhealthy. See, if you stand by someone you deeply care about when they are actively using and in self-destruction, you are therefore condoning it is okay. Also, if you allow them to mistreat themselves, or you for that matter, it reinstates their shame and need to use alcohol to cope, and you to stick around to try and protect them from their consequences. I wish someday I will hear from him, I have hope, but cannot bank on it; much as I wish. What I can know in my heart, is that I cared enough about him to no longer enable his behavior and do the right thing by allowing his actions to manifest his outcome, and right by myself by setting boundaries. It is the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. I'm here for myself right now, solely. But should he choose to want to reenter my life? ONLY, and if ONLY if he is doing right by respecting me, but as well as himself.